The cancellation was expected for the Ryan Murphy horror comedy anthology series, which struggled to find an audience over its first two seasons, though it did perform well in delayed viewing and was extremely buzzy on social media. Fox also liked that the show brought in a younger demo.
Fox chairs Dana Walden and Gary Newman confirmed that the Ryan Murphy anthological series had reached the end of its run during a conference call with reporters Monday morning, ahead of the network’s upfront presentation.
“It feels as if it was a complete series,” said Newman. “We have no plans to go back and tell more stories there. We won’t be seeing Scream Queens this season.”
Earlier this year, Fox executives told reporters that the future of “Scream Queens” was still up in the air, saying, “It’s very much still in consideration for a renewal,” in January. “The ratings don’t tell the whole story; because it’s such a young audience, you can’t really even see the full picture even in L+3.”